I am a native of Baltimore, Maryland, a mother of a 16 year old son. I work full time in the Same Day Surgery Dept at Mercy Medical Center and I write in my spare time. I was bit by the writing bug in high school and I am now the self published author of Sweet 16 and Run,Tell That!
2. When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I have been writing short stories and poems since high school, but it wasn't until I wrote Sweet 16 that I truly felt like a writer.
3. What inspired you to write your first book?
I began writing as a means of therapy and it took off from there and Sweet 16 was born.
4. What books have influenced your life most?
I would have to say Reposition Yourself by T.D.Jakes. It was very motivating and inspring for me.
5. If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?
I would have to say The 1 Essence. She took me by the hand and told me the do's and don'ts of this business and whenever I need anything she is there for me.
6. What book are you reading now?
I am currently reading Reckless, Arden's Aftermath by Embue as Loretta Walls who has become one of my favorite authors.
7. What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
I enjoy spending time with family, watching movies,reading and just simply enjoying life.
8. Where do you get your ideas for your books?
I like to write about real issues especially the one's people don't like to talk about. My goal is to make them talk about it.
9. What new author has grasped your interest?
I am very impressed with Author LaRedeaux and English Ruler.
10. If you couldn’t be an author, what would your ideal career be?
I have always wanted to be a crime scene investigator.
11. What was your favorite chapter to write and why?
I actually enjoyed writing the whole book, but I guess I would say chapter 22, the courtroom scene because my main character Jovon went in the courtroom excepting responsibilities for what she had done. She didn't want special treatment because of the abuse. She knew what she did was wrong. but she what she felt she had to do.
12. Why do you feel you had to tell this story?
I felt I had to write this story to be the voice for those to afraid or ashamed to talk about it themselves and that also inspired me to write a teen book Run,Tell That! which is about teens who have been abused physically, verbally, mentally and emotionally to encourage others to Run,Tell That!!
13. Can you tell us about your upcoming book?
The book I'm working on now is titled Two Face and it is about a man (Rodney St.James) who meets the woman( Chrisette Michaels) of his dreams and later finds out she was once a he.
14. How do you market your book(s)?
I market my books on the social networks, book fairs,passing out flyers, on my website and the best tool of all word of mouth. However this is my weakness, but I'm striving to do better.
15. Do you have any advice for aspiring authors?
I would first tell them if they think it's a get rich quick scheme to think again. I would stress to them that it's a lot of hard work which requires a lot of research and to learn as much as they can about the craft. The most important thing I would stress is spending money on an editor. It is worth every penny to produce a quality product,