i'm from Wilmington, DE. Lived there all my life up until April of this year. I live in Albany, NY now. I have two daughters. I have a baby sister and a few brothers as well.
2. When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I first considered myself a writer when my book THAT WAS DIRTY was released. That was in 2006. The response I received from it let me know that I was a writer. When I first wrote it I didn't intend to get it published.
3. What inspired you to write your first book?
I wrote my first book because i was really bored. I was doing a year in jail and we were on lock down a lot. Being in a cell all the time I had to find a way to stay occupied.
4. What books have influenced your life most?
The Quran has influenced me the most. I'm Muslim so i get a lot of my values from there. Far as my writing, i read A LOT of books on the technical aspects of writing. i learned a lot and I feel it has strengthened me as an author. The book that I like the most is titled SELF EDITING FOR FICTION WRITERS. It's written by Renni Browne and Dave King. Books by the RICH DAD POOR DAD company are really good reads too. They help with the business side of things.
5. If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?
I can't honestly say i have a mentor that's an author but my favorite authors are Guy Johnson, Eric Jerome Dicky, Walter Mosely, James Patterson, Al Saddiq Banks, Leoindra Prince and my home girl K.D Harris
6. What book are you reading now?
Right now I'm not reading because I'm writing.
7. What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
When I'm not writing I love being in the gym. That's one of my favorite things to do. I love it.
8. Where do you get your ideas for your books?
I get the ideals for my books from a little bit of my own experiences. My thoughts and my imagination mainly.
9. What new author has grasped your interest?
Tammy Capri, Quiana, Jada Jones, Kyrstol Diggs. Its a few that caught my attention on facebook. They promote their work hard and i respect that.
10. If you couldn’t be an author, what would your ideal career be?
If I wasn't an author I'd like to be a real estate investor. I plan to pursue it now actually.
11. What was your favorite chapter to write and why?
Chapter 27 in the book WHEN IT HITS THE FAN. I like that chapter the most cuz i put a real message out there. A lot of men that are in the streets want to change but find it hard and don't even realize it's their own selves that's stopping them from that change.
12. Why do you feel you had to tell this story?
In my THAT WAS DIRTY series i had a lot to say. I had to touch down on some real life issues that go down in the streets. The streets are real and grimy, I wanted to show that.
13. Can you tell us about your upcoming book?
I have a book that I plan to drop some time in the spring of next year. Its about a hustler turned hit man who finds a love that starts to change his life.
14. How do you market your book(s)?
Facebook is really great. It's been helping me a lot. and i do a lot of hand to hand sells.
15. Do you have any advice for aspiring authors?
My advice to aspiring authors would be BE READY TO WORK!!! Study writing and work hard.